Monday, February 18, 2013

The Pisco Sour

I've been reading up on Peru and I've come across several interesting things that I want to share.The first is Peru's national drink: the Pisco Sour. I've never tried one before but it will definitely be the first drink I have while in the country!

Pisco is a grape brandy and when combined with lime juice, simple syrup/sugar, egg whites, and Angostura bitters, it becomes a Pisco Sour.


Of course there are a lot of variations on the drink so the list above might not always hold true but I think those are the basic ingredients.
Chile also claims the Pisco Sour as their national drink and who am I to argue? Maybe I'll have some time to swing by Chile and sample their Pisco Sour and compare them.
I pulled this Pisco Sour recipe from my copy of Frommer's Peru:
2 oz. pisco
1 oz. lime juice
1/4 oz. simple syrup
1/2 egg white
1 dash Angostura bitters
Shake with ice and strain into glass; garnish with bitter on the creamy top.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment